13 May 2021
Director Dr. J.V. Peter opened a new 12-bed ICU facility at CMC’s Kannigapuram Campus on 13th May 2021. With all the ICU beds on the Vellore Town Campus full, there was a pressing need for additional critical care beds to save the lives of people with severe Covid-19.
Staff got the ICU ready in record time. The shell was already in place in the newly constructed hospital. A multi-disciplinary team worked round the clock to get everything ready. This included biomedical, civil and electrical engineers, along with medical and nursing experts and maintenance staff.
- Changing cubicles and showers were fabricated.
- Engineers set up an extra-low voltage electrical supply.
- Staff calibrated and installed brand new ventilators, monitors and other equipment.
- They rolled in Motorised Cots then connected and tested them.
- Finally, the staff made up the beds, ready for the patients.
The original purpose of the Kannigapuram Campus was as a Level 1 Trauma Care Centre and higher speciality hospital. But for now, we treat patients with COVID there.
Read how you can help buy equipment needed for breathing problems: Fighting the COVID pandemic.
See how you can help patients who need hospital care and protect our staff here: CMC urgent COVID needs